Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 3 at MOBC

Last week was my third week at Martha O'Bryan Center, and I love it more and more each day! Monday-Thursday, I worked in the classroom with my kids, and then, on Friday, I worked in the food bank. I absolutely love being with the kids, and I feel so blessed that I get to be a part of their lives. This past week, the kids started to listen to me more, and I feel like they have begun to respect me more. This is experience is great, not only because I've gotten to meet so many wonderful people and kids, but also because I'm beginning to discover if I have what it takes to become a teacher. Working in the food bank Friday really opened my eyes to how big of an impoverished area I am working in. There were many, many families that had to come get food, and a lot of the families consisted of 10 or 11 people. It also shocked me how ungrateful some of these people were of the services that Martha O'Bryan provides them. Many complained about minor things, instead of realizing how great it is that Martha O'Bryan Center is there to help them.

This week, one of the women who works in the classroom where I work left because she was moving to Georgia. It was really hard to say goodbye to her, and I was amazed to see how close I have become to the people that I work with. The kids got really upset when they heard that she wasn't going to come back, and they kept asking me if I was going to leave too. I told them that I wouldn't be there this week because I was going on vacation but that I would be back next week. One boy, Tyreese, got really upset and held onto me when he heard. Today was their first day at school without seeing me. I'm really worried that the kids will feel like I've abandoned them, and I keep thinking about them while on vacation. I pray that they stay safe and know that I will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment