Friday, June 10, 2011

Week 1

Woo! First week of Turner Fellowship. I have been working with Preston Taylor Ministries (PTM) for the past week with Zach. Chan, our contact person, has dealt us quite a bit of responsibilities. Zach and I teach a problem solving class for PTM's summer program for children K-5th grade. We teach about 8 3rd grade girls and about 16 4/5th grade boys and girls. Chan has placed the 4/5th boys and girls into our hands - Zach responsible for the boys, and I for the girls. I'm constructing a curriculum for the 6 weeks that I'll be working at PTM with these girls. We have done activities such as music appreciation, hula hoop passes, and my personal favorite so far, a blindfolded cone game. I have even planned a field trip for the kids next week to visit Thistle Farms, which I'm super excited about. The responsibilities that I have with PTM are sometimes overwhelming, but with each day, I become more comfortable and confident in the children and my curriculum. I continue to learn and brainstorm for new and creative ways to engage the children in problem solving, team building, and leadership.

Chan has asked us to specifically to instill leadership values into these young children's minds. Zach and I held leadership elections today for the girls and boys. We will have 3 boys and 3 girls on a leadership committee. The committee will have important responsibilties at PTM (picking up trash) and even meet with Chan, Zach, and me plan and discuss ideas for the class. I LOVED seeing the girls step up and distinguish themselves as leaders. I ended up having 4 girls presenting speeches today and was so proud to see them share their hopes with their classmates. I can't wait to see what happens with this group.

On a typical day, I arrive and have an hour to prepare for the day and/or plan for the coming week. Then, the children arrive and I get to play with the kids outside and play games inside. I love seeing all the little kids that I don't get to teach during this time. We then circle around and have worship with all 80 or so kids enrolled in the PTM summer camp. Then the kids are dismissed and I teach my 3rd grade girls and help Zach with the 4/5th boys. After that, I eat lunch and then have planning time. Then I teach my 4/5th girls. I have one more planning time, which has recently been replaced with working with the girls on their speeches for the election. After my last class we have closing time when we pass out awards to the kids. After about half of the kids go home I have an enrichment hour with the other half. So far, I have taught crafts, tennis, fitness, and today, we went to the YMCA. This is one of my favorite parts of the day since we have so much fun with the kids. After the enrichment kids go home, Zach and I either stay to talk with Chan or head home.

Even though its only been a week, I am totally in love with PTM. The staff is so welcoming and helpful and the kids are so loving. It's been a bit challenging with all my responsibilities, but as I said, I continue to learn. It's heartbreaking to know that the children I work with have unstable homes and haven't grown up in a home where they have everything they want and need like I have. I can only pray that I am making a difference in these kids' lives in the short time I have with them this summer. I can't say how much all the kids at PTM have already grown on me and I can't imagine how much more I am going to fall in love with them. I am especially looking forward to helping out with the evening JAM (Jesus and me) evening camp next week. Until then, I hope all my other fellows are having as much fun as I am and am praying that God changes our lives this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment