Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 3

Today, I was supposed to start my third week at Bethlehem Centers of Nashville, but I am taking this week off to go to Hilton Head with my family and several of my friends. I was astonished with how much I missed my Bethlehem Center family when I didn't go to work this morning! I miss the children, especially, and can't wait to return next Monday.

Last week was amazing - I grew much closer to the others working at Bethlehem Center and was blessed when several of them shared their life stories with me. They are caring enough to want to pass on these stories because they told me that they don't want me to make their same mistakes.

I worked all week in the thrift store after I worked in the GED program (before going to the Summer Discovery program) and three other girls who are actually campers at the Summer Jam program (for the older kids) have started coming in to work with me every day. Mrs. Heather had the four of us trying on the clothes and "modeling" them so they could advertise better to the teen community. It was so much fun! I also set up and have been posting items on The Shopping Bag's ebay account, and even set up a Groupon account for the store. The Shopping Bag is now officially online, and it is a very exciting process for the women who work in the store.

Finally, my day has continued to end at the children's Summer Discovery program, and I find myself leaving later and later each day. We have been playing more organized games, such as Kickball and Capture the Flag, and every time I become the target, which is so much fun when the kids are having a good time. Friday was "circus" day for the toddlers, so my kids got to participate in their circus. One of the other councilors, David, dressed as a clown and gave everyone face-paint and temporary tattoos - the kids had a blast! And of course, they were very hyper all day because of all the sugar they ate. It made for an awesome end of the week! When I had to say good-bye on Friday, it was sad because I knew that I wouldn't be there this week, but it's okay because I will be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment