Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 3

Third week at PTM and loving it! What an awesome and easy-going week it's been. This week for my curriculum, I put together a "Business Project" lesson plan. I created a worksheet called "Creating My Own Business" in which the kids paired up and created their own fake business. They came up with a name, contact information, working hours, a slogan, and products and prices. I loved seeing the excitement that the students had in this project. I was somewhat surprised since I was apprehensive at first as to how interested the children would be, but their creativity thrived. We had several different companies including a pet shop, several car shops, clothing stores, restaurants, and even a Hollywood themed mall. We also went into the computer lab and created logos for the companies. The children were so excited to pick out pictures from google images and come up with their own design. Today we presented their creations and picked four winner (two boys and two girls) to film a commercial for their "business" next week. Unfortunately I won't be there since I'll be on vacation, but I can't wait to see their finished projects when I return!

This week Chan delegated a few more responsibilities to me concerning the non-profit organization. On Monday I wrote the blog for the PTM website and summarized the field trip we took to Thistle Famrs this past Friday. I also began work on a grant that I'm writing for PTM. I'm doing a grant for Lifeway Christian Store and continue to pray that it will come through. To complete the grant application I have been learning quite a bit about the funding of a non-profit organization and the sort of "behind the scenes" type of stuff. I'm not very good with the financial aspects, but I'm trying.

That pretty much sums up the week (I'm trying to shorten these blogs). All in all, another fantastic week with PTM! I love all of the kids so so so much! Everyday our friendships continue to grow and I love them more and more. I'm truly going to miss them while I'm on vacation and although it'll be relaxing, I can't wait to see them when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment