Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weeks 1 and 2

At the Salvation Army, I have really enjoyed working with the kids each day. The first week of camp was a little bit of an adjustment period just because of having to learn what the kids like to do and each ones name. It is amazing to see how each kid is so different yet so many come from similar backgrounds. The kids we work with range from ages 6-13 with 4 different groups with each group having two ages respectively.

Each day is relatively similar. I arrive at work around 8:45 each morning and leave around 4. The day begins with an informational session at 9 for the kids. I was put in charge of the competitive sports aspect of the camp in the rotation. It is similar to the PE of any school. I begin my day working with the 6 and 7 year old kids. These kids are so energetic to start the day and I have noticed that they really just enjoy any sort of competition. Next group rotation, the 12-13 year old group comes in. Most of these kids LOVE to play basketball and soon, a full game of basketball or "gotcha" breaks out. The next period I have the 10-11 group and this group is composed of mostly girls who like to either play volleyball or tether ball. Then i have a 30 minute lunch break at 12 and after lunch comes the 8-9 year old group. This group really does love competition and sometimes the competition gets to heated and the I am forced to put the kids in time out or send them to Carlos.

My favorite part of the day is free time from 3-4 because it is during this time that I can play with the kids of all age groups together. It is good to teach the older kids to play with the younger kids as well.

So far I have really enjoyed this experience and look forward to the rest of the summer!!


James

1 comment:

  1. James, I'm catching up on reading y'all's blog for this summer's Turner Fellowship and just wanted to say thank you for all you've done with this opportunity. I'm sure the kids at Salvation Army have enjoyed getting to know you. Thought it may seem like you're just playing with them each day, I hope you know the impact you're having on each of their lives. Have a great rest of your summer!
    -Mrs. Mangrum, Your Friendly FRA Alumni Director

    ReplyDelete