Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 2 at YES

This was my second week of working at the Lindsley Youth Encouragement Center. Since M-FUGE did not come this week, I was able to become more accustomed to typical days at the camp. I have also gotten to know the campers better. For example, I have learned that many of the kids absolutely love the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson. On Tuesday, two of my fellow counselors and I allowed the younger campers to play on the center's Wii. The kids chose to play a game I'd never heard of called "Michael Jackson,the Experience." It was so fun dancing with them to hits like "Thriller" and discovering that they know basically all the lyrics to every Michael Jackson song by heart. One of the boys was such a Michael fan that he wore a glove on his hand whenever he danced to a song! I also learned that the little girls really enjoy doing people's hair, especially mine! Before it was their turn to play on the Wii, several of them crowded around my head and began to style my hair in cute little braids. I really enjoy small group times such as this because they allow me to really get to know more about the amazing kids at YES.

As mentioned in my last post, the kids enjoy playing basketball before camp officially starts. One of these athletes is my friend George. I truly admire his passion for the game and his incredible sportsmanship. Whenever I shoot hoops with him, he exclaims "All right!!" with the most adorable grin if I make a basket (which is rare) and always retrieves my basketball if it has gone astray. While I have learned more about many of the YES kids through more structured camp activities such as game time, I have really gotten to know George while hanging out on the basketball court. While we play, we talk about school, his love of Spongebob Squarepants, and the fun things we're doing outside of camp. It was awesome to see his eyes light up when he talked about the camping trip he took with his uncle last weekend and how he got to roast marshmallows. George's stories remind me of how the seemingly little experiences in life such as making s'mores or playing basketball with a new friend can become the best memories.

Final random thought: In the gymnasium there is a dedication plaque. Below the building dedication is Proverbs 22:6 - "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." It amazes me how perfectly this verse matches the mission of YES. I am so grateful to witness and contribute to the center's uplifting influence on the children. As I get to know the kids better, I continuously see this influence's success.

No comments:

Post a Comment