Monday, June 13, 2011

First Week at Bethlehem Center of Nashville

This is my first full week working as an intern at the Bethlehem Center of Nashville (I worked Thursday and Friday of the previous week). I have been here for such a short time, but already it has opened my eyes to a whole new culture and way of life. Every morning, I work in the GED program with Mrs. Jaynie helping teenage to middle-aged adults learn the necessary skills in order to pass their GED test.

The first day, I worked with a man from Mexico who struggled on his reading section of his test. He missed several questions, but going back and re-reading the passage with him, it turns out his main problem was simple vocabulary words. When our two hour tutoring session was over, the man was so grateful. I realized how privileged I am to have the exceptional education that I have received through Franklin Road Academy, and I am particularly thankful to God for giving me this education so that I may turn around and help others.

The second half of my day is spent in the “Summer Discovery” program which is basically the 6-11 year old child care program at Bethlehem Center. There are about 28 kids there a day, and my job as a counselor is basically to play with them and make sure they are safe and happy. It is so rewarding when I walk in the gym and receive hugs from all of the children. Slowly, I am learning their names – I don’t have them all yet!

I have not been at Bethlehem Center long enough to see a significant change in the children, but I am so excited to spend the rest of my summer with these kids – they’re great! I love spending my afternoons at Discovery, and am very hopeful for the rest of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment