Saturday, July 16, 2011

Week 5 at BC

This last week was I believe my 5th week at Bethlehem Center - it all flies by so I find myself not being able to keep the weeks straight! I have continued work in the GED program and the Shopping Bag. Five items have sold on the ebay account for much more than they would have sold at the store, and it makes the women who work at the thrift store very happy because they enjoy being able to help Bethlehem Center in this way.

My time with the kids has been the best this week! On Thursday, Bethlehem Center hosted "Olympic Day" which it does every year. For Olympic Day, several other non-profit organizations bring their kids over for the day to compete in games and sports, and there is an overall winner at the end. This is to promote sportsmanship and inter-community relationships. Oh, and it's a blast, too! The kids were so excited because everyone got to participate in at least one event, and they received t-shirts and ate a lot of junk food! In the end, Bethlehem Centers won the overall event, which was so exciting! The kids had so much fun, and that was my favorite part - watching them enjoy themselves and work together as a team. Everyone who came to Olympic Day enjoyed it and left with smiles on their faces, including me!

1 comment:

  1. Megan, I'm catching up on reading y'all's blog for this summer's Turner Fellowship and just wanted to say thank you for all you've done with this opportunity. I'm sure the folks at Bethlehem have enjoyed getting to know you. So glad you're having fun and doing such good work at the same time!
    -Mrs. Mangrum, Your Friendly FRA Alumni Director

    ReplyDelete